Can Gamers Really Save the World?

I came across this very interesting talk by Jane McGonigal, a highly coveted game designer. And to say the least, I was very intrigued...



I myself am not a gamer, but I was still intrigued... The talk seems long, 20 whole minutes.... I don't want to waste 20 minutes listening to some chick talk... I pressed play...

Jane started talking... I looked at my watch, man 19 and 3/4 more minutes ... still I listened on... and before I knew it, I was really listening.  Her talk had wit and humour, and dare I say it, a certain amount of crazy logic.... crazy logic I was actually getting sucked into...

Considering the Internet driven society we now live in, who knows? And considering the fact that I am a true optimist, who knows? I would like to think this technology can and will be used for the power of GOOD, even though we all know there will be those who will be trying to become the next Dr. Evil...

Anyways, watch it, and let me know your thoughts...

Comments

BLOGitse said…
I love TED videos and I loved this one too!
The idea is great...now I want to go online and check what's going on.
BF greetings from Casablanca, Morocco!
Suzie Q said…
Crazy logic is right, but sucked me in too :) Wow, wouldn't it be neat if all the gamers could become real-life heroes?
Unknown said…
Given that I'm not a gamer I was unsure about watching this video but I watched it anyway and, like you, I found myself getting sucked into her crazy logic. It's unlikely that I'll ever be a gamer but I'm definitely considering the potential after watching this.
Jihan said…
wow great idea... thnx for sharing...
Unknown said…
She is AWESOME!

As someone who was never a gamer...yet got sucked into the whole "gaming" thing by my now significant other...it's pretty crazy - but it IS "crazy logic".

Thanks for sharing!
Kelly said…
"crazy logic" I know!!!!!
I myself am not a gamer, though I had a one week stint in university where I rented a nintenedo 64 (yeah, I know, I am aging myself) and played SuperMario Bros... my bf had to physically remove me from the console to eat... that's all she wrote on my game card..
It would be so cool if the geeks would end up saving the world, LOL!!!!!

Popular Posts