Eerily Beautiful


I came accross this video one day, and was transfixed. It is a visual journey, by Kseniya Simonova (born 1985) who is a sand animator from the Ukraine. She started drawing with sand after her business collapsed due to the 2008 financial crisis, and had less than a year's experience when she entered Ukraine's Got Talent. She became the 2009 winner of that show, constructing an animation that portrayed life during the USSR's Great Patriotic War against the Third Reich in World War II. When you see talent like this you have to stand back in awe and marvel at humanity. I have never personally ever heard of sand animation before, and after googling it, found that she adds depth and soul to this unique form of art. Sand artists create a series of images using sand, a process which is achieved by applying sand to a surface and then rendering images by drawing lines and figures in the sand with one's hands. To increase visibility and to add further artistic aesthetic, sand animators move around sand on a backlighted or frontlighted piece of glass to create each frame for their animated films. This performance piece is truly inspiring, powerful and eerily beautiful. Thank you, Kseniya for giving me the opportunity to experience this unique gift, and sharing it with all of you.

Comments

Corine Moore said…
I've seen that before... and it still amazes me! I have artists in the family. I have got to see if they can do something like this. I wonder if any of them would enjoy it. Thanks for the great entertainment. Corine :D
Ellen said…
Wow Kelly - Never even heard of this kind of art. It is captivating and nothing short of amazing!! Thanks for finding and sharing!

xoxox,
Ellen
Wow. I don't even know what else to say. I'm floored. Thank you for sharing this! I'm going to send it to my friends and family.
Jules said…
Catching up. Isn't it amazing what a little bit of sand can say? Makes my sand box days seem miss spent :D
Trying To Get Over The Rainbow
Kelly said…
Well Jules, I am lucky to have a little girl who loves to play in the sand. And eventhough our sand castles are pretty darn amazing...they do not compare to this...
Suzie Q said…
This is absolutely amazing!! I have never seen this before, thanx for sharing.

Popular Posts