Hot Pepper Jelly with Tequila

Can I just tell you how divine and easy this is!!! This is my first ever attempt at jelly making...

I found this recipe at Canadian Living, and just had to try it!!! (just a note that I tweaked it a bit)



Here's what you'll need:

1-1/2 cup (375 mL) finely chopped sweet red peppers, seeded
1-1/4 cups (300 mL) white vinegar
1/2 cup (125 mL) finely chopped hot red peppers, seeded
4 cups (1.25 L) granulated sugar
2 pkg (85ml) liquid pectin
1/4 cup (50 mL) tequila
1-1/2 tsp (2 mL) hot pepper sauce

Here's what you do:

In large saucepan, bring sweet red peppers, vinegar and hot red peppers to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes.

Stir in sugar. Bring to full rolling boil over high heat; boil hard, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. At this point you are really glad that you used a large saucepan because it really bubbles and foams up!!!

Stir in pectin, tequila and hot pepper sauce. Stir for 5 minutes, skimming off any foam with metal spoon, to prevent peppers from floating. (I never had to skim anything off?!?!?)

Pour into prepared 1-cup (250 mL) canning jars, leaving 1/4-inch (5 mm) head space. Seal with prepared discs and bands. Process cans as required.



Nutritional Info
Per 1 tbsp (15 mL): about
-
cal
47
pro
0 g
total fat
0 g
sat. fat
0 g
carb
12 g
fibre
trace
chol
0 mg
sodium
0 mg
% RDI:
-
vit A
2%
vit C
10%


Totally enjoyed some of this on top of some Danish Brie, spread on Wasa crackers last night. Totally love the jewel clear consistency with the little red peppers "floating" in it...might add some hotter peppers, and a little more hot pepper sauce to it next time for some more, zing!

Can I say, divine???

Comments

Oh yum, that sounds so good. Last summer someone gave us some green pepper jelly and it was incredible!
Anonymous said…
Hot Pepper Jelly with Tequila...I like it already. That alone is worth the flight back home!
Congratulations! You won on the Froggy Hunt!!!

Send me a message so I can get your info to The Blog Frog folks.

Robyn
robyn@ourhomeschoolhome dot com
the Tsaritsa said…
Sounds tasty! I love hot peppers, I'll have to try this :-)

Btw, I gave you an award on my blog, please check it out! the Tsaritsa sez
Sherri said…
I have to admit that I'm not much into hot peppers or tequila...but the jelly is really pretty! I love the colors and the way the red blends with the yellow!
Kelly said…
Green pepper jelly sounds yummy, varunner!
Anonymous, definitely worth it :)
Robyn, Yeah!!! I don't believe I have ever won any contest before, woo hoo!
the Tsaritsa, you really should try it, and thanx for the award :)
Sherri, it is surprisingly sweet! Great with cream cheese on crackers!
~ Mona said…
I'm not into peppers and I can't drink but hubby would love this.
It looks really pretty.
Liz said…
Hot peppers, jelly and tequila are 3 things I never imagined would go together in the same sentence let alone the same recipe!
Elyse said…
Yum! Just printed this out to make it this weekend.
Kelly said…
You guys really do need to try this, mmmmmm :) Thanx for stopping by!
pauladevi said…
mmmmmmmmmm. I love the the combination of sugar and hot peppers. This is something great to put on anything and to make as gifts for friends.
It will probably taste good without the tequila, do you think?
Copying the recipe into my docs.
Thanks.

Popular Posts