Pickled Carrots

The Peanut and I have been very busy, and are becoming quite the homesteaders - stay tuned for our sun-dried tomatoes.  Pickled Carrots are one treat that the Peanut and I look forward to every year!!! This year we used some home grown dill as well as carrots from our Magical Garden :)


You will need a couple pounds of carrots, fresh dill, and some peeled garlic cloves (I like to put 2 per jar)

Boil 4 cups of water, 2 cups of white vinegar and 5 tbsp coarse pickling salt (I have used normal salt before when in a pinch!).

They are very simple, and requires the same recipe as Dill Pickles. Take a couple pounds of carrots and cut them into sticks (cut them tall enough, or short enough depending on your point of view, to fit inside the jars you have chosen but can be covered by the liquid).

Sterilize jars and lids. If you have never canned before, it is totally easy!!!! If the Peanut and I can do it - so can you!

Once the jars are sterilized, take them out of hot water and turn upside down to let water drain, turn right side up (use oven mitts or tongs) and place garlic and dill, and as many carrots as will fit. Pour in boiling liquid over top of the carrots but leave some space at the top. Place lid and process jars, you are done!!! Store them for a minimum of 4 weeks before diving into them (this is the hardest part)!

MMmmmmm can't wait until after Halloween, we can have us some pickled carrots :)
Well, since we LOVE Halloween, we can wait....stay tuned for October as we have a month packed of Halloween fun...

Have you ever had pickled carrots?

Comments

the Tsaritsa said…
Halloween is my favorite holiday, I'm really looking forward to it this year. I've never had a pickled carrot, but I'm intrigued to try one after reading this post!
Corine Moore said…
Oh my gosh... I can hardly wait to try this!!! :D They look SO TOTALLY DELICIOUS! :D Thank you so much for sharing!
Corine :D
Unknown said…
I love pickled carrots,but never thought of making them myself...hmmm, great Christmas gift idea...thank you!
Never tried them- they look fabulous!
They look beautiful. Are they crispy and crunchy or soft?
Suzie Q said…
OMG these look just so tasty...going to have to try these out...
Kelly said…
They totally are!!! You really should try them :)
Kelly said…
Thank you, yes, VERY crispy and crunchy :)
Kelly said…
No problem :) Happy to help...
Kelly said…
They really are :)
Kelly said…
I honestly think you might get hooked after trying one!!! I so love Halloween too :)
Kelly said…
I have never heard them called Dilly Beans before. Ok, so pickled bell peppers, are they hot and spicy?
Kelly said…
They are so absolutely totally delicious, Corinne. Highly recommended by me and the Peanut!!!!

Popular Posts