Around the World - France

The Peanut and I have started a new tradition. Once a week we are going to pick a place on a map, go to the library and learn about it, and cook and eat foods from that place.

Today our pick was France.


This made me happy. For many reasons. The first being that I actually do speak French, and I think it is a beautiful language. I have always talked to the Peanut in French, and hope that she too, learns.

And we can't forget La Tour Eiffel.  I have actually been fortunate enough to have visited this distinguished Tower, many years ago. Perhaps one day we will meet again...

But back to the food. The delicious French food. Although we kinda cheated. We made French Fries, French Toast, and tried our hand and making some French Bread. Wow, I thought making bread was going to be hard - but we really enjoyed it, although I must say, the Peanut's loaf came out way better than mine !!!


We had chocolate eclairs planned for dessert, but we ran out of eggs after the french toast, so we will make them tomorrow :)

We checked out some books in French at the library, and we found out an interesting fact :

Nîmes in the Languedoc-Rousillon region, is the birthplace of jeans - denim is short for ‘de Nimes’.
Who knew?  Definitely not I!!  But I will think French everytime I pull on my favourite pair of Levis, from now on :)

Ah, Paris, the city of love..... one day we will meet again...

Comments

Christine said…
that looks like fun!
Amy said…
What a wonderful idea! Enjoy!
jenn said…
I started doing something similar with my daughter about a year ago. We haven't stuck to the every week plan... and now that she is in school we are doing it more like a monthly thing... but she has really enjoyed it. We keep a notebook full of craft projects and such... and she is so proud of her work that she shows it off any chance she gets. We just finished up India and went to an Indian festival for Diwali this weekend... it was fantastic. Good luck on your project... I think your daughter will really LOVE it.
SandboxGems said…
Super idea and that French Toast has my mouth watering!
Suzie Q said…
This is such a neat idea, Kelly !! Wish I could've had you as my mom growing up :)
Kelly said…
Thank you Suzie Q. The Peanut and I make quite the team and enrich each others lives :)
Kelly said…
It was delicious, and topped with real maple syrop - mmmmmmmm.
Kelly said…
I will see how long we can stick to it, life tends to have a way of showing up, LOL!! But without any pressure, we'll explore the world !!!! The notebook is a great idea!!! YOu are such a cool mom, Jenn!!
Kelly said…
Thanks Amy. I think we both will learn lots !!!
Kelly said…
It sure was :) Learning can be so much fun, hopefully that's what I will impart to her...
Hope Davis said…
What a fantastic idea! I think all of us could do well (with or without kids) to try this in our own homes!
HelenCLyde said…
Oh, how cool is this!
I once made a Britisch day with my daughters, baking scones and drinking tea with milk and sugar and talking Englisch all day long and singing English songs - but this is so much cooler! Such a brilliant idea! This will be my resolution for next year, when all the holidays are over. Thanks for this idea!
Kelly said…
Oh, that's a great idea, Helen :) I will borrow when we pick England!!
Kelly said…
Yes, I could have picked some extravagant dishes to make had I had the money and someone who would enjoy it with me :)
Amountainmomma said…
Cool idea, my oldest would love this. I think we are going to start making our library trips have an international theme from time to time.
Legacy2000 said…
I think it's great that you're actually going to the library to do this rather than googling. That in itself will teach her more about learning than anything else.
Kelly said…
I agree :) Plus I am a bit old school and love the feel of actual books, and the atmosphere of a library.
Anonymous said…
Man, really want to know how can you be that smart, lol...great read, thanks.

Popular Posts