Connections

Have I mentioned before how I consider myself a bit of a loner? Well I do. Or rather, I believe I am. And I don't quite consider it a bad thing, either.


I have never been the one with a million friends. Even my facebook friends count is probably considerably low to the norm. But the few friends I do have, are the tried and true kind.  Still, I have no desire to fill my head or fb account with zillions of people who will boost my shallow image of myself.

But what I do strive for is connections. Connections to people. Connections to places, connections to the soul. I have met many a kindred spirit, and am often blown away at the feeling of depth and familiarity that is felt. Connections happen sometimes when you least expect them, and may be fleeting. Or, rather, the relationship may be fleeting. I have had some of my most treasured and potent connections to strangers while travelling a bus, or acquaintances experiencing a similar experience.

Time is such a subjective thing. And so much can happen in such a small time frame. You just have to ask a mother of a toddler who looks away for 5 seconds, that question. 

I truly believe that at the end of the day, and ultimately our life, we are just a sum of our experiences. Most importantly we are the sum of our actions, and our reactions to what life has thrown at us. We are the sum of the connections we have made during our lives, to those who have crossed our paths.

When I look back on my life, I want to see all the colours of the connections I have made, and watch them burn brightly in my memory.  For I see life in a myriad of colours and shapes and painted landscapes of dreams.

I strive to fill my present life with connections that are positive and true, while purging those that no longer speak authentically to me.  Some days my life is extremely full.  Others, not so much.

The older I get, or shall I say, the wiser I get, the more I yearn for those connections to myself. My authentic self. For even when I am alone, I am never truly alone, for I have made a connection that has the most meaning to me.

At the end of the day it's just me, and me.  We might as well get along.  Even better if we have a deep and profound understanding and mutual connection to each other.  

Otherwise it could just get messy...


Comments

Bethany Mason said…
Beautiful post - I am always looking for connections to things/places/people as when I find it it is the best feeling, and I know I'm alive.
Katie Fortner said…
True genuine connections are so much more important than numbers. I learned a lot about true friendship (and for me the meaning of a real Christian and about being "Christ like") in the past year. A lot of people will call you a friend, but very few actually treat you like one.

I've been a long time follower, but haven't been online much the last few months...I've missed a lot of your posts but am glad to be back. And in case I haven't mentioned it before - I absolutely love your header. Gorgeous!
What a beautiful site! I'm here from Blogfrog and I'm now following you on GFC, BF, and Twitter ;-) Looking forward to seeing more!
Connie said…
To thine own self be true!
Corine said…
I love your journal page! This makes me want to take photos of the kids! I'm glad to be home with them again. :)

Connections are a most wonderful thing! :D

PS I deleted my FB account. I hope that I didn't sabotage any connections...
Kelly said…
yes. These provide our primal needs to feel connected to all we know and feel, and give us the feeling that we are not alone.
Kelly said…
Thank you. I am honoured to have you stop by, again :)
Kelly said…
I know I mentioned it before - but love that poem :) Welcome.
Kelly said…
Family. IT's great to make connections there :)
Glad you are surrounded by them :)
. Legacy2000 said…
I too have always been somewhat of a loner. Over the past year, I discovered how connecting with others can often lead us to our selves. People I will never meet in person have had an impact on me that has changed my "real" life, and how I connect with the people in it, in ways I could not have imagined.

Galileo said, "You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him discover it in himself." We are blessed when we cross paths with those who can help us, and who we can help, in these discoveries.
Legacy2000 said…
I too have always been somewhat of a loner. Over the past year, I discovered how connecting with others can often lead us to our selves. People I will never meet in person have had an impact on me that has changed my "real" life, and how I connect with the people in it, in ways I could not have imagined.

Galileo said, "You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him discover it in himself." We are blessed when we cross paths with those who can help us, and who we can help, in these discoveries.
Kelly said…
Life truly is a funny thing, isn't it?
And just when you think you've got the hang of it, or handle on it, it throws you for a loop. Good thing I like roller coasters!!!
Love the quote, by the way :)
(and I deleted your duplicate comment. thanks for suffering through and coming back to comment, despite your deep loathing of disqus ;) it is sincerely appreciated)

Popular Posts