Another Day Older...

So today it is my birthday, and I hope I have grown at the very least a year wiser.  Going with that theme, I wanted to share some thoughts by Dennis Stevenson that he had on his birthday:


"So my birthday gift to you is to share some of the lessons I've learned over the last few decades. I hope these resonate with you and encourage you.
Life is about People. 


I don't care if you are at work, at home or at your place of worship. At the end of the day, people are the ultimate currency and prize. A few years ago, an uncle turned 50. I remember sitting back at the party and watching all the people who came to celebrate his first half-century. As a younger man, I remember remarking about the number of lives he has touched, and the people who were so happy to come and celebrate his life - which is far bigger than celebrating a single birthday. That day I resolved to be like him and do what it takes to make a difference in people.

Focus on Outcomes, not Effort. 
With my kids, I celebrate their efforts. With adults, I appreciate effort, but results really speak. Often when I'm talking with someone in my office, they will say "I'm going to try to do that." I almost always reply by quoting Yoda, the Jedi Master "Try not. Do." When they chisel something into granite to put on my grave, I don't want them to write "Here lies a man who Tried Hard!" I really want an epitaph that reads "Here lies a man who DID great things!"

Words have power, and how I speak influences how I act. So I discipline myself to not even use the language of attempt. When talking to myself and to others, I use the word "do" as often as possible. Because I want to drive myself to achieve real meaningful results. Don't settle for less than your best by substituting effort for results

Create Don't Criticize. 
Creating things is very hard work. Much more than it looks like on first pass. But creating things is something that really makes a difference. It is very easy to sit back and criticize what others have tried to create. But to paraphrase Theodore Roosevelt, "credit goes to the man in the arena, who attempts great things, not to the critic in the stands."

Sometimes criticism is appropriate - when it is constructive. I've seen a lot of people criticize because the can't/don't/won't create themselves. Instead they achieve parity by destroying the creations of others through criticism. That is so petty. If I can't create, then my next best option is to help someone else create. This world has no energy for people who tear down.

As I come up on this birthday, these are the top three things that I'm thinking about for myself. I hope you can find a way to pick up the torch and run with them and make a difference around you as well."

I couldn't have said it better myself.  So I will leave you as I blow out my birthday candles...


Comments

Salma said…
Happy Birthday dear Kelly...happy birthday to you....
Another year wiser...
Hugs
paula devi . said…
HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR KELLY!  Your thoughts and sharing in this birthday post are profiundly simple.  Why is it so hard for us to just be and do "simple" with out all the fahl dee dahl.  You have and continue to touch so many lives just through your blog and community, a community that connects people to each other and each one of us are able to affect someone else's life.  So you are already being and doing.
Hugs to you and many showers of blessing on you & peanut this oming years.
Brent said…
Happy Birthday Kell!
~ Mona said…
Happy Birthday!!!!  .... and Yes, you are wiser.

~ Mona : )
Kelly said…
Well, at least someone thinks so, LOL!!!! Thanks Mona.
Kelly said…
Ahhh Paula Devi, you brought a tear to my eye.  Thank you for your very kind words.  I think it is so easy to get lost in the hustle and bustle of everyday life, I catch myself to stop and smell the roses. Connections are what keep me going and keep me smiling.  Just like you, as I read your comment, you make me smile Miss Paula Devi.
Kelly said…
Thank you so very much Miss Salma.  I hope life is treating you well, and you are enjoying your family and your new rainbow - though not so new anymore...
As I was saying to Paula, connections mean so very much to me, as does our connection.  The internet can be a pretty cool place!!!
Kelly said…
Thank you Brent.

Popular Posts