Coat of Armour


Armour.  We all wear it, some in stronger force than others.  We remove it in different amounts, at different times.  Sometimes not even aware we are doing it.  It protects us, it shields us, and sometimes it hurts us.  Blocking those from coming too close.  Being armourless is scary.  Nakedness is scary, having it all hang out for someone you care about to see.  But it also can be the bravest thing you can do.  And the truest.

After all, don't you want to be with the people you care about the most, without all the presumptions and the pretense?  There is a certain admiration for those who are willing to just be themselves, and make no apologies for whatever that may be.

I know I myself, forget to put my armour on to shield me from some of the harshness that this world can be.  I tend to confuse others who constantly talk and act in predetermined form and function.  Learning to maneuver in a society who seems to have an agenda, can be difficult.  Staying true takes strength of character.  While others shine and strengthen their armour, I prefer to be weightless.

I often wonder how exhausting it must be to wear ones armour all the time...

Comments

Madison O'Sullivan said…
There have been times where my armour, but for the most part I enjoy being me and who I am. I had decided not to long ago to stay clear of the people, places and things that make me feel as if I need to put one on.  As always, thank you for a super post.:)

Madison
My Meddling Mind
Angels3 said…
Hi
I know exactly what you mean by armour.  In my life, I have been hurt so much by those I thought were my friends and some family members.  I am an easy going person and have been gullible sometimes.  Consequently, I have only one really close friend.  I live in Oregon and she in Illinois.  My family, in Illinois too.

So, here I am 67 and have no close friends where I live.  Yet I have lived here for 25 years.
I have let my armor loosen in the past few years.  I am pretty much a home body when not working.  Anything you have to share, I would appreciate
paula devi said…
I think Madison said it all.  I let go of the armour years ago - guess what - never knew I even had any.  These days I have adjustable boundaries and if I feel someone is toxic, i don't have anything to do with them.  Great post.
Kelly said…
I am a quality not quantity kind of gal, myself. Its hard to trust when we have been hurt in the past, as I speak from experience as well. You can only do what you feel comfortable with, and know that you are in charge of what and how you want your life to be.  In order for something to change, you have to be open to it. You may have to start small.  Getting to know people is tough.  I have recently moved, and am finding this out myself.  But unless you put yourself out there, you can't ever meet anyone, and no one will be able to discover you :) And a little note, things don't always work out the way you want them too, but we do have to keep trying.  I wish you luck, Angels3.  There truly is someone who is meant to be your friend just waiting out there, I believe :0

Popular Posts